Friday, February 06, 2009

Panel Poster Bed


This is a bedroom set that I completed in June 2005. It was built in oak and featured raised panels on the head and footboard. One thing that I did different was to turn the center panel horizontal. Normally I outsource the panel work, but on this one I built it myself, mainly because of the sideways panel. I didn’t want to confuse my supplier. This change in the panel gave it a little different look to it. The headboard also featured some hand forged ironwork.


The case goods are a combination of a face frame look but built like they are frameless. The sides look like a 2” face frame, but I made it appear to be 2” thick. I sandwiched two ¾” boards and a ½” thick inside frame together to make a frameless 2” thick side panel. I also added rope molding and hand built the base molding in layers.


Here are some pictures of the case goods:
Dresser and Mirror
Dresser and Mirror


Chest
Chest


Bookcase
Bookcase


Here are some building pictures:
Sanding the panel inserts.
The panel glue up.
Cutting biscuit slots to attach panel to post.
Sanding the panel.
Headboard and footboard
Framed out chest.
Framed out dresser


For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. See what we are doing live:





-- Check out the video live from our shop. http://wwbeds.com/

No comments: